Does the name ‘horror’, always send shivers down your spine? It doesn’t! Eldritch Horror is a very entertaining and thought-provoking board game. The game was developed by Fantasy Flight Games back in 2013. The good news is that the randomness of chance is medium. The game requires simple skills such as sharp problem-solving skills and cooperation skills.
What is Eldritch Horror Game About?
Eldritch Horror is broadly categorized into three phases. These are the action phase, the encounter phase, and the mythos phase. In the action phase, the player begins to take command of their character. Players then draw out encounter cards and experience the actual world in the encounter phase. The ancient phase presents an opportunity for the player to put up a war against the sadistic Ancient one.
The game is about terror and adventure and includes one to eight players. The players assume the role of being globetrotting investigators. The team works closely to unravel mysteries by gradually gathering of clues. All players must fully work together to protect the world against the Ancient one. In Eldritch Horror, the Ancient One is an elder who has the intention of destroying the world.
Interestingly, every Ancient one (your enemy) usually tags along with unique decks of research cards. The mysteries tend to lead the player closer and closer to other more daring enemies. However, mystery cards play a key role in forewarning the player of any impending danger. The only danger of this game is that any failure in a given phase could be too costly. For example, a failure in a given encounter may result in mental trauma or physical injury.
Has Eldritch Horror Game Won any Awards or Honors?
Thanks to its simplicity and convenience, this mind-blowing game has attracted two global awards. These recognitions are;
- Golden Geek Best Board Game Artwork-2013
- Golden Geek Best Thematic Board Game Nominee-2013
Benefits of Playing Eldritch Horror
- Enhances one’s thinking power; Eldritch Horror requires a player to strategize on how to outsmart the Ancient one fully. As a result, a player can think profoundly hence enhancing their thinking ability with time.
- The game guarantees maximum fun; It takes a lot of effort, thinking, and attention to finish successfully. Therefore, players derive immeasurable fun when they work together for a common goal. Any silly suggestion from co-players attracts hearty laughter from the other players.
- Enhances the player’s social skills; The board game can involve as many as eight players at the same time. Therefore, each player must possess excellent communication skills. Players interact a lot with his or her playmates during the game.
- Improves the player’s decisiveness; Every player is bound to be decisive to ensure the continuation of the game. Any delay in decision-making may be very catastrophic to the player as Ancient One will wreak havoc.
Eldritch Horror is one of the most exciting and thought-provoking games that you’ll ever play. The possibility of being hoodwinked in the action phase makes it even more appealing. The next time you have 3 to 4 hours to spare, consider playing the game. You’ll thank me later, once you play it. What an unbelievably awesome board game!